Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What's In A Name?

Last night I decided to google "The Dieting Wars".  That was the original name of this blog.  And I DID think it was original to me.  Dieting has always felt like a war, a civil war in fact of me against me.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my title has been used over and over and over again long before my meager attempts at blogging!  Perhaps that title was tucked away somewhere in my subconscious.

Choosing names has always been difficult for me.  It took me days to name my children and in fact I was once threatened with a delayed discharge from the hospital unless I would settle on a name.  I owned several "name" books but the decision seemed so huge and permanent to me.  I wanted a name that was not super common but not super unusual.  I didn't want to saddle my children with a name they would hate.  I considered names with a significant meaning, Biblical names and briefly, family names. Of course, I finally made a decision for each of my three children.  Hopefully they're satisfied with the choices.

So, when my chosen name for this blog was taken, I had to search those corners of my brain again and come up with a new one.  Originally I wanted the word "diet" in the title since that was my primary focus for starting the blog and I figured if anyone wanted to search for something on diets, my blog might come up.  The usual ideas (which I was smart enough to google first this time) again had all been taken.  I considered "Standing on One Leg" since life is all a balance but again that left out "diet".  And so I finally combined the two settling on what you see above.  Actually I like it a lot better than my first choice. It's both more positive and descriptive.  Changing the web address to match the blog proved to be a little more challenging.  Apparently I'm not too good at reading those gooffy letters that prove...well, they prove something, but I'm not sure what.  I even tried the handicapped setting.  It took me about 10 tries to finally get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment