Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Fabric Rescue

I've "adopted" some unwanted fabric.  It was given to me by a friend who felt that she had no use for a print this "vibrant" and thought I might be able to find a use for it.  There's a LOT of yardage here - about seven yards and 60 inches wide! And the print is a large scale.  You are looking at about a yard in length and half the width of the fabric here.
The colors remind me of some of the Quilts of Valor projects I've been working on but I'm not so sure about the flowers.  Some of my thoughts: quilt backing; border; a simple strip quilt with solids or small single color prints to break up the pattern; cut it up into smaller pieces to take advantage of the color.  I guess with seven yards I could pretty much do all of the above if I wanted to!   I'd love to hear any other suggestions so chime in!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift! That fabric literally SCREAAMS QOV to me? I think you are on the right track with all of the items you mentioned. That doesn't look like too feminine of a backing to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it be a back for a QOV?
    I was surprised by how many flowery fabrics my dad picked for a project I am making for him. It's a large print, so if you decide to cut it up the flowers will be less obvious. But else I'd say quilt back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this may indeed end up on a QOV. There is SO much yardage, though that I'm sure there will be some of it in several of my projects for awhile!

      Delete
  3. I know you posted this a few days ago but I wasn't able to visit then. Now I have a little more time.... My first impression when I saw this fabric was how perfect it would be for the back of the blocks in your previous post. The two look like they were made for each other.

    As far as Quilts of Valor -- aren't there some female soldiers, too? I think I saw some in one of the posts.

    ReplyDelete