Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Country Threads Block of the Month: September

September has turned out to be a busy month filled with family visits, a little vacationing and the neighborhood yard sale.  But, I did manage to finish my Country Threads Block of the month.  I always enjoy working on these blocks. 
Here's all of them arranged as per the directions.  Although, somehow over the months I've turned the picture around, so this is actually upside down from what I think was originally intended:
The blank spots get filled in with the last few blocks and a whole lot of flying geese.  Last month I mentioned that I think I want to calm the whole thing down a bit perhaps by using some sashing.  So I decided to play with the idea bit.  I tried black:
And tan:

Neither of these is using all the blocks, but I wanted to try a few arrangements also.  I didn't have a very large piece of tan, but it gives a feel for the color.  Green was next on my list, but none of the shades that came to hand seemed to work. So.....rather than tell you my thoughts, I'm looking for comments on the sashing colors and the arrangements.  Of course, there are always other colors and arrangements to try and any thoughts in that direction are also appreciated. 

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. The blocks are wonderful. Does it need sashing? I like it without, but then again, I'm a wild one. Blue? What do I know? I love the blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used black for anything (not because I don't like it but because I'm not brave). But I think the black looks fabulous as sashing for this quilt, Nina. The blocks stand out against the black but disappear against the tan. In fact, I can't think of a better color than black. I'll be interested to see what your other readers think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Nancy on this one......the black makes the blocks stand out to me? The tan makes it a little too monotone...the only other thought I had was perhaps the red color you are using, but, I do prefer that black.

    ReplyDelete