Monday, September 23, 2013

Staycation: Volume Three (Last One)

So, I know that this is the blogging equivalent of showing vacation pictures around the office, but when your brain gets old writing things down (or blogging about them) helps to cement the memory a bit.  And, if you still get brain cobwebs you can always go back and read what you wrote and remind yourself what a great time you had.  I totally understand if your yawning and want to skip on down the blogging road....but if not, indulge me for a moment.

My cousin and I had a great time comparing versions of family stories from our past.  Often we knew the same stories but the facts were a bit different.  The truth probably lies somewhere between each version.  Then we looked at old pictures and genealogy information compiled by my sister.  My cousin had never heard about our father's CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) experience.  She enjoys history from that period and it turned out that her visit coincided with a dedication ceremony at the CCC Legacy building for a memory wall.  There were a handful of CCC Boys at the ceremony from all over the country with their families. Their numbers are dwindling and most of them are in their mid 80's.  I wish I had opportunity to talk with some of them. Some day I'd like to sit down with the CCC Legacy historian and see if I can fill in some of the details of my father's service.

 
We followed this us with a trip to one of our favorite German restaurants where we were treated to some live accordion music of traditional German songs.
We stuffed ourselves with wiener schnitzel, red cabbage, spatezla, and apple crumb cake.  Both my cousin and my husband have spent time in Germany and really liked the atmosphere here.

Believe it or not, these three posts were just the highlights of our week.  We managed to do a lot, but we also left a lot undone.  Hopefully we'll have another chance to get together and explore some more. 

But now.....back to sewing.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful vacation and visit for you! I LOVE German food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we have a single German restaurant here.

    ReplyDelete