Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Parenting Allegory

I undertook a rather large sewing project this winter.  It's one that I had thought about for a long time.  So, when I got my new Bernina 330 I decided that it was time to begin.  My oldest son had left behind a large collection of tee-shirts from his high school and college days.  As a collection they tell a lot about those busy years of his life.  I decided that I would make him a quilt out of the shirts.  I've done similar projects in the past and was acquainted with the various challenges - particularly getting the layers smooth and avoiding puckers in the back layer.  I took special care to minimize such problems, but my work is far from perfect - or at least not at the level I would hope to be able to achieve.  I've corrected as much as I could, but some places just can't be made perfect.  I've learned so much along the way, though and if I make another such quilt, I know that this experience will make the second one go smoother.

As I was sewing yesterday I was pondering all this and thought that this quilt, much like my first parenting experience suffered from my inexperience.  I'm hoping that my son holds neither my first parenting of him or my first tee-shirt quilt attempt against me and recognizes that in each case I did the best I could with the skills I had at the time.  Both were done with much love and with the very best of intentions.  So, if you ever read this son #1, know that I wish my parenting as well as my sewing abilities had been more perfect for you.  Know that I'm very proud of you and that even though tee shirts are no longer given out as a record of accomplishment in your life, you have more successes in front of you than behind.  You're talented is so many ways.  Keep dreaming big.  I love you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment