Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Diet Low Spot

Yesterday was my doctor's appointment for my yearly check up.  I decided to try a different doctor this time.  I've had some problems with the office management at my former doctor's office so yesterday I went to my husband's doctor.  He practices a bit differently than my old doctor and his office is much simpler with the older equipment.  I was hoping to make this a "weigh in" check point for my dieting.  But somehow, the difference between my scale at home and my weight in the office was 7 pounds!  I could understand a few pounds but 7 puts me right back where I was two months ago and I just can't deal with that.  I know I've lost weight because my scale at home has gone down and my clothes fit better, so presumably I would have weighed a lot more if I had climbed on his scale two months ago.  I want to blame it on his old equipment since the scale was sort of rickety.  But, it any case it was pretty depressing.

He did think that perhaps my blood pressure has been overtreated and has asked me to stop the medicine and continue to monitor my pressure daily.  If it goes up I'm to call for more medication.  He doesn't want to see me for a year.  He encouraged me to lose weight to prevent the onset of my familial Type II diabetes.  I told him I was trying but weight has always been a struggle.  He told me to join Weight Watchers or to just eat once a day.  He claims to eat only once a day.  I'm not so sure I believe that.

In preparing for this visit I went over some old medical records of mine that I have at home.  My weight gain has mostly occurred over the past 10 years and I've weighed about this same weight (varying up and down by about 5 pounds) for that whole time.  If you go by my scale, I'm now about 141.  I should be 125.  And I WAS 125 about 10 years ago. 

The doctor reminded me that 100 calories extra/day equals 1 pound/month.  I'm choosing to reverse that and remembering instead that 100 calories LESS/day equals a loss of 1 pound/month.  100 calories is not much.  It's 2 pieces of chocolate, 1 slice of bread, 1/3 of a bagel or donut, 2 small cookies or a few breath mints.  It's also a walk with the dog, a bit of yoga or some gardening.

So still, it all comes back to balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment