Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Uh-oh!

Well, for the first time since I started this blog and my quest to reach a healthier weight, I've gone a bit in the wrong direction.  It's only a pound or two, but nonetheless, I need to nip this in the bud.  I want to blame a new prescription I started a few weeks ago - a statin drug to tame my unruly cholesterol, but I think that might be a bit of a cop out.  I've avoided these drugs for about ten years now but statistics being what they are, my age now adds to my risk factors and makes cholesterol control more important to my doctor.  For me, high cholesterol is more genetic than dietary. And given that fact, I wonder if it doesn't serve some yet undiscovered purpose in our bodies.  But, I finally caved to the urgings of my doctor that I would avoid trouble later on if I controled it now.  Here's the thing.....my appitite seems to be different.  I get hungry more often, I crave carbs, and I want to eat more.  So, which is healthier: a skinny me with a high cholesterol or an overweight me with a low cholesterol?  I would vote for the skinny me every time because there are so many other benefits to the low weight.  But first I need to see if I can indeed turn this around and lose weight while still on the medication.  If not, I guess I need to exercise my "patient's rights". 

No comments:

Post a Comment