Saturday, May 11, 2013

Craftsy Block of the Month: May

I struggled with this block more than I should have.  I think the main problem was my expectation.  The block was referred to as a "spool" and that's what I wanted mine to look like.  But it only looks like a spool when you have certain color combinations and I couldn't quite figure out what combos were best.  Also, given the way you do the cutting, the colors will be reversed in half the blocks.  I finally just wanted it to be over and ended up with this:
Here are all the blocks so far in their approximate location on the final quilt.  I"ll probably move the "spools" around a bit:

5 comments:

  1. Looking at your spools closely, I think I know what you mean, Nina but I probably wouldn't have realised if you hadn't told me! I can't wait to see the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice of colours. I think they look more like hourglasses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's a better name for them. The ones without the dark centers can be hourglasses and the ones with dark centers can be spools!

      Delete
  3. I've never made spools before and didn't really know how they were created. I didn't realize they were so complicated. I went back to the Country Threads website showing the finished quilt and looked at their spools. Looking at them, I wouldn't have thought they were made like this. So your photos turn out to be a great demonstration about how to make spools, Nina. I think the two with the darker centers look most like traditional spools. It's interesting how our expectations color our satisfaction (or lack of satisfaction) with the results, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I've come to understand and appreciate over the last couple of years is the importance of getting values right and it sounds as if you've given yourself a master class.

    ReplyDelete