Monday, May 5, 2014

New Bird in Town (or at least in my backyard!)

After being away for more than a week we had some "catching up" to do around the house.  Top on the list is always: water the plants and fill the bird feeders.  A lot of the trees are now growing, the grass is thick and full and flowers are breaking through the soil.  But the first thing I noticed when I looked outside was a new bird!  I haven't managed to catch him with my camera yet, but here is an image I found online of a beautiful tree swallow:
There are at least two in yard.  I think they are either nesting in one of my boxes or in a nearby tree.  The color is brilliant! One of the birds spends a lot of time perched on a hook near a birdhouse that I originally put up hoping to attract bluebirds.  When I read up about these tree swallows it mentioned that they are attracted to the same areas as bluebirds - so maybe they're staying in the box.  I don't have solid proof of that yet.

I put some dried meal worms out near where I often see them perched hoping that they would like them and accept my "token of friendship".  It would be great if they became "regulars."
 

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful ... wouldn't those colours look great in a quilt? Thanks for sharing, Nina - hope they pose for you later in the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only beautiful birds that ever come in my backyard are cardinals. By the time I find my camera, they fly away.

    ReplyDelete