Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Wild Mustard is In Bloom

This is a picture of wild mustard:
It grows in empty lots and fields around here as a weed.  Dairy farmers hate it because if their cows eat too much of it their milk will have an odd taste.

I have a vivid memory related to this plant and except for this memory I probably wouldn't give it a second glance. As I was on my way to the hospital to give birth to son #1, (The birth of a first child truly changes the course of the rest of your life in ways you can never anticipate or imagine.) I remember a lot of wild mustard growing along the sides of the road and in empty lots.  So every year when I see the mustard come into bloom it reminds my of this special, special day....which happens to be today.

Happy Birthday, son #1!

2 comments:

  1. I can imagine that would make cow milk taste weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same every year when the Snooker World Championship comes on, at this time of year. I was pregnant with Son Number 1 and suffering from morning sickness, so spent a lot of time lying around on the sofa watching the snooker. That was 32 years ago, but I think of it every year.

    ReplyDelete