Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Tinker Tote

This tote is the main project of a Craftsy Class called Quilt As You Go Patchwork Bags by Tara Rebman.   I learned a lot from this project.  I made some choices along the way that actually made things a bit more difficult.  Someday I'll learn to just follow the directions! 

The class starts out with a potholder project...great for using up scraps.  It's a good way to learn the quilt as you go technique and gave me a place to practice a few binding techniques before deciding which one to use on the bag.
 
I need to mention about the cat fabric.  I won this in a giveaway at Lilypad Quilts during the Pets on Quilts contest.  The contest sponsor was Fabrics 'n Quilts.  Thanks Snoodles and Shannon!!  So sorry for taking so long to mention that, but it all happened the day before we left for vacation!
 
The blue fabric and lining came from my stash and the bottom is made out of denim from an old pair of jeans.  There is a zippered pocket, a patch pocket and a key fob inside and a magnetic closure.

 
So, what would I change?  I would have used the more traditional QAYG as presented in the video.  But, my thinking took this track:  I want to use this cat fabric.  It's not scraps, why not use larger pieces?  I think even using the strips I might have been happier if I had put them directly vertical instead of on an angle.  Once you go through the project one you realize what parts could have used an extra measure of attention.  For example, I wish I had positioned the magnetic snap a bit better, but all in all it was a great class and I would definitely recommend not just for the quilt as you go technique but for general bag construction and zipper pocket installation.  All the techniques can be applied in a lot of other projects; and I'm sure I'll make good use of them!

5 comments:

  1. Great bag. The cat fabrics are super cute. I love the zipped inside pocket, so handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting into everything now! Quilts, table toppers, bags......what else is next? LOL You may not want to go check out my blog......I went somewhere you may get jealous of! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bag, Nina, thanks for sharing. Love your fabric and using the denim for the bottom is a very good idea. I have a couple of Craftsy classes to try ... will definitely go and have a look at this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making bags, but I've rarely been happy with the finish; I think it's to do with finding the right wadding. I hope you enjoy using yours.

    ReplyDelete