Friday, October 26, 2012

Scrap Quilt Top

I've finally finished the top of my "scrap quilt".  This is the quilt I got distracted by while I was organizing my scraps.  I'm not going to quilt it for awhile so I thought I would post the top.  It's made entirely of scraps or leftovers from other quilts.  Some of the border and black sashing was fabric cut for a border on another quilt until I changed my mind....as I often do!
This quilt top was started before I had my revelation about color value.  There are a few pieces that I should have not used.  I think the biggest offender is the light colored print near the top right of the red block.  And that brings me to one of the big lessons that I'm taking away from this project: not all scraps can be used successfully in a scrap quilt!  Again, perhaps it's obvious, but I had to learn it.  The light colored areas are a combination of greys and white fabrics from recent projects.

I wanted this to be made entirely from fabric that I had on hand, but I also wanted to start using soft backings like flannel and fleece for a warm cozy feel.  While shopping recently I found an excellent buy on some wide white fleece, so that will become the back.  I'm thinking about using a rainbow thread to quilt it with a free motion pattern.  Since I only feel confident about two patterns that I know it will either be stippled or looped.

So I still have some fabric to cut up but little by little I'm getting there.  I do some until I'm tired of it and then move on to something else.  I'm not sure how I'll use the scraps, but they're easier to store and should be more useful cut up into predetermined shapes.

2 comments:

  1. You're spot on about the colour values, but I really like the design you've created, quite original and modern looking, and the blue block down the middle is wonderful. If you're confident with loops - and I find them so much easier than stippling - you could add stars or flowers or hearts or flowers every now and then into the loops. These links will give you an idea of what I mean http://www.rachelsquiltingloft.com/rachel/Patterns/IMAG019A.GIF or http://www.valeriecustomquilting.com/services/pantos/DaisiesGalore.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this quilt is fun! I particularly like the black sashing--it really sets the individual pieces apart. :)

    ReplyDelete