Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Quilts of 2013: A Tribute

For the past few  years I've made a small wall hanging to sort of commemorate the quilts that I made throughout the year using scraps from each of the projects.  I have the ones from 2012 and 2011 hanging in my sewing room.  This year I decided to go a slightly different route.  One of my Christmas presents was a Sashiko sewing machine.   The machine didn't come with a cover so using scraps from my projects in 2013 I created a cover and quilted it with the Sashiko itself:

 It was a great opportunity to practice using the machine.  It makes this great stitch that looks like hand sewing.  You can vary the length of the stitch and/or the spacing between the stitches.  Amazingly those two little changes really give a different look to the final piece.
 It uses only one thread - in the bobbin and the threading process is unlike any machine I've ever used. I will say, it can be a persnickety little thing.  It likes things to be the same, so the settings that worked on fabric and batting didn't like sewing on the bottom finished edge which required going through multiple layers. 
Next I'm going to try it on the border of the quilt I'm presently working on.  And I have a few decorative pillow ideas in mind, too, whenever I get through my backlog of projects.  I keep reminding myself that it's about the journey, not the destination.  It's important to enjoy the process, not just try to cross another thing off the list. 

Hmmm.....that would make a good wall hanging.  Oh, but that's another project, isn't it?

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun cover, Nina. I like how you've incorporated so many fabrics and the stitching looks lovely. Very hand-stitched. I've heard of Sashiko machines but know nothing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a sashimi machine, perhaps you could show it to us sometime? It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really great Nina! How neat! I have seen one of these machines, but, have never used one! Your cover for the machine looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete