Monday, December 16, 2013

Celtic Solstice: Step 3

I've been able to get some work done on Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt: Celtic Solstice.  My ruler for step #1 arrived and I have my fabrics laid out on the cutting table waiting for some action.  But, I have step #3 finished!
I made my half square triangles (200 of them) the same way as Kevin the Quilter- sewing around a pair of larger squares and then cutting the squares on the diagonal both ways making 4 half square triangles. He explains this technique really well on his blog.  Does anyone know: is there a formula for doing this?  I used 3 1/2 inch squares which were a bit too big and required trimming.  That's not such a bad thing for "little miss inconsistent" me.  But it would be nice to know the formula.

So, hopefully before Friday I'll have a chance to get busy n step #1.  I still have two last minute Christmas presents to get done, decorating to do and presents to wrap....oh, and a bit of shopping, too!

I'm linking up with Bonnie Hunter's linky party.  Happy Mystery Quilting, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nina! Thanks for the shout out! You add 1 1/4" to the UNFINISHED size of half square triangle you want. This should give you the appropriate size. It's not a bad idea to do what you did though and trim down? Your hst's look so fun! Try to enjoy your busy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks, Nina, great colours! Thanks (and to Kevin) for sharing this technique, I shall try it in 2014. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete