Monday, February 13, 2012

Snowman Quilt!

I just finished this quilt:
It was a lot of fun and my first real attempt at applique.  It's made out of flannels which gives it a warm cozy feeling.  Flannel is a little different to work with - not harder or easier, just different.  The quilting itself is a combination of free motion, stitch in the ditch and conventional straight line quilting.  I used clear thread for the ditch stitching and the sky stitching. 

The pattern is from The Rabbit Factory and the inspiration to use flannel and lighten up the color scheme came from The Queen Bee's Hive.

I had wanted to use one of my decorative stitches on the edge of the "blanket" (under the snowmen) but the stitching didn't want to cooperate through the multiple layers.  I had to pick out the stitches which was no easy task.  Fortunately I found my husband's "fly tying" light/magnifier to aid my old eyes!  My other learning curve moment had to do with the applique.  I cut out all of the heat bond material....and forgot to reverse the design, so everything was backwards.  Fortunately I bought lots of heat bond and was able to just start again. 

Next.....the infamous fractal quilt!  Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment