Friday, March 8, 2013

Book #1: Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

I haven't said much about my New Year's resolution progress - mostly because I would just barely give myself a passing grade so far.  There's been some progress, but also some dismal lack of progress on a few of the fronts.  But, I've finished my first book (One of the goals was to read six books this year. I really like to read, but I seem to get so distracted by other interests)

My recent travels gave me an opportunity to finish the last few chapters of Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey.

                                          
The book tells the factual account of life at the castle where the TV series Downton Abbey is filmed.  I like the show quite a bit so I thought the book would be interesting.  It was fun to see how some of the real history of the castle is woven into the fictional story that we see on TV.  My favorite fun fact is that the approaching road to the castle purposefully shows the corner view we are accustomed to in order to make the structure look even larger and more imposing than it is.

The writing style was a bit difficult to get through.  It seemed like there was often more facts than necessary to tell the story.  It certainly wasn't a page turner.  There are a lot period photos which I also enjoyed and which make this a book that I would suggest not be read in an electronic copy to make it easy to flip through the pictures as you read information related to the photo.

So, if you like English history - a definite yes; if you like action - a definite no.

No comments:

Post a Comment